Saturday, May 19, 2012

Musical [side]Note

I was going to do a post talking about the thrifting, painting, cooking and more working that I've been up to, but then my pictures did not deliver to my inbox.  Whatever!  I just wanted to share some epic videos of bands that make my heart stir.  There are a few others, and I'm quite determined to see them before the age of 25.  If it means buying a pair of tickets and flying to Austin or L.A. for a weekend to catch them, then let it be done!

Arcade Fire, "Wake Up" at Glastonbury 2007  
The Shins, "Australia" in 2011  
Of Monsters and Men, "Little Talks" in Iceland Summer 2011  

Despite my ardor for music and festivals, I haven't done anything too extreme to make it to a live performance. I think the most I've driven is 3 hours, spent about $70 and came back at 3 in the morning before a 8 AM class (though on different occasions). Maybe next summer, or when I graduate, I need to think big: Bonnaroo, Lolapalooza, Coachella maybe or Osheaga in Montreal? There's also Outside Lands in San Francisco and of course Glastonbury where it all started, and then Europe's wild techno summits. At the moment, it's a fallacy worth fighting for. This July, I might take a weekend and volunteer at the Grassroots Music Festival that's at the southern tip of Cayuga Lake. I could apply to volunteer as hospitality, dining service (already do enough of that though), set up and clean up, or the children's tent.. yeahhh, probably face painting with the kids :). 
Jeez louise, it's already been over a week since I left school.  It feels quite long ago, though I'm happy to report that I'm going to the Adirondacks on Monday to spend a few days with my house mates and a few other friends!  Mountain R&R, away!!!

 Listening: Arcade Fire, because they make me tear up in the best way possible.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Love all three of these bands! If I could see any of them in concert I'd be a happy camper. Hopefully you'll get to see your fair share of live performances sooner or later. :)

Olivia Fuller said...

Nicole!

I hope you are enjoying your summer vacation, it looks like from your previous posts that you are baking up a storm ;)! I also LOVE that donkey painting--having two of those myself I love seeing them used in art. I love those bands too, and I've always envied all of your concert ventures and how well you always documented them for us :). Don't hate me, but I recently took the plunge and bought 3-day tickets for Osheaga with my best friend, and have arranged to stay at a hostel in Montreal. It's our first time going to Canada, so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity. Definitely going to be working off that ticket cost all summer though, hahaha, and saving up for souveniers and DRINKS ;). You should consider going! The Shins and Of Monsters and Men will be there.
I hope to start blogging regularly again, school just always makes it so difficult. I had my wisdom teeth(all four) extracted this morning, so I had the perfect excuse to just sit on the computer all day, haha.

xox,
Olive