Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Why so serious?

Thanks to the unfailingly overcast climate conditions of Western New York, I missed the lunar eclipse that was the first to occur on a winter solstice since the 17th century. I do believe I would have woken up at 2:30 to watch it. Grr, too bad! Anyone else catch it? :)

Anyway, it is also amusing to consider that winter has officially started. There isn't as much snow here at home than at school, so I hope it falls more for Christmas and winter expeditions. I love cross-country skiing in my backyard and sledding down the ravine at my friend's house! What are your favorite winter activities? It's also nice to sip whip creamed-hot cocoa next to the wood stove with the morning paper or a Christmas-themed show in the background. I've realized that what I take the most pleasure out of is when the snow is actually falling, gently accumulating in sparkling drifts. I adore sparkling snow.

The last few days I've hung out with my friends a lot, and we're just trying to figure out what to do with ourselves. My friend Kristen and I posted a ridiculous music video on Facebook interpreting what our winter holiday will be :P. Yesterday a bunch of us visited our high school and it was... nauseating, to say the least. When I visited back in October for the first time I felt torn and oddly nostalgic, yet this visit I was more or less revolted. There are several teachers and a few friends, and it breaks my heart not being around them anymore, though aside from them I do not miss it at all. There was some petty drama brought up, tempting me to be sucked in, but noooo way; I don't go there anymore, leave me out.

One thing I did, however, was participate in the indoor track team's practice! The coach was also my cross-country coach and he still likes to keep up what I've been doing with my team at college, and he was more than welcome to have me join. You know, I was a cheerleader and tennis player, so this track concept is fairly new to me! And since I haven't been running fully, I have no idea which events I'll be competing in. I ran an easy 2 miles on the treadmill, sprint rowed 3 sets of 200 meters on the rowing machine, then did the body weight exercises; it was 200 body-weight squats and 100 push-ups. I alternated back and forth and took a few breathers, but my body did not thank me this morning!
Alas, I feel more hardcore for it. It's a pain of progress.

Today we went to the mall to catch up on family Christmas shopping, with me strategically dodging more people that I didn't want to see. Notice a trend here? There are an overwhelming amount of people here at home that I prefer not to be associated with-- is that wrong? I haven't decided yet.
Oh man, I am crossing my fingers that someone in my family bought me tea or tea paraphernalia from Teavana for Christmas! Otherwise that is where my post-holiday splurging is being conveyed. My parents picked me up and we headed into the city to watch an annual performance of A Christmas Carol. The threatre is intimate, yet this allows the audience to connect with the actors. We attended a Prologue with one of the actors prior, who explained how this presentation was newly-envision by the theatre's artistic director, Mark Cuddy. My mom pointed out how these settings weren't as elaborate as the prior performances, but I was content because it brought more attention to the acting. It was a great evening and I always appreciate any excuse to dress up and feel sophisticated.

No Bah Humbugs this winter for me! :)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

It was super cloudy here too, so I couldn't see the lunar eclipse either. Kind of disappointing.

Wait, that's right! It is officially winter! I didn't even realize. There's a bit of snow on the ground, but it's not actually snowing in that magical kind of way, unfortunately. Hopefully on Christmas itself it will. :)

Wow, it must have been weird to be back at your high school! That's definitely smart to not be sucked into any of the petty drama. I have to say that once I'm in college and come back to visit, I'm most likely going to try to avoid 99% of people too, haha.

The workout sounds intense though! Except even as much as it hurts, doesn't that pain actually feel kind of satisfying, haha? :D